The IT Architect's Essential Toolkit
By Afia Ahmad
In recent times, the field of enterprise architecture has moved away from reactive one-off projects to becoming an increasingly structured field. IT architecture is a conceptual blueprint that defines the structure and operation of an organization. The intent of an IT architecture is to determine how an organization can most effectively achieve it’s current and future objectives.
As the IT architect is responsible for finding solutions regarding the problems of IT management, he/she requires certain tools to enable them to achieve organizational goals effectively:
1. Telelogic system architect: Telelogic system architect enables to build an Enterprise Architecture - a fully integrated collection of models and documents across four keys architecture domains: Business, Information, Systems, and Technology. It is an extremely versatile tool with its support for standards.
Telelogic system architect enables you to:
- Support BPMN, the Business Process Modeling Notation. BPMN is the industry standard for modeling business processes. With BPMN, you determine how business processes depend upon one another and the order in which the processes are completed.
- Support for UML, the industry standard for object-oriented and component-based analysis and design. Support includes capturing of requirements, business-level analysis with use cases, modeling the dynamics of the system with UML sequence, collaboration, state, activity diagrams etc.
- Support for data modeling and structured analysis and design.
2. Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003: Visio 2003 is diagramming program that helps to create business and technical diagrams that document and organize complex ideas, processes, and systems. Diagrams created in Visio 2003 enable visualize and communicate information clearly, concisely, and effectively in ways that text and numbers cannot.
Visio 2003 also automates data visualization by synchronizing directly with data sources to provide up to-date diagrams, and it can be customized to meet the needs of the organization. Visio 2003 can help business and technical user’s document, design, and communicate complex processes and systems clearly so they can collaborate effectively and take more effective action.
3. Casewise: Casewise Modeler allows a business to capture and document their enterprise architecture, visualizing powerful business processes, system interactions, organizational hierarchies and more. Casewise Modeler links business modeling and IT modeling within one multi-user environment.
Casewise Modeler is highly configurable and customizable, and its graphical business representation facilitates and accelerates the decision-making and planning that leads to lasting and effective process improvements and organizational change.
4. Adaptive Enterprise Architecture: Adaptive provides expertise, methods, and tools to help complex organizations align their capabilities with their strategic intent. Adaptive enterprise architecture manager is robust repository solution for organizing, integrating and analyzing information describing the key elements of an enterprise.
5. Alpha planning IT: Planning IT’s sophisticated metamodel allows to easily add newly automated computations and reporting capabilities. It covers planning the introduction and rollout of business services in complex enterprises. IT helps the IT architects to quickly identify weaknesses in the IT landscape, find solutions to business demands and turn business strategies into IT implementation plans.
Therefore it can be said that IT architects work with a wide variety of tools, and so a correct understanding of these tools in necessary if you want to make it big in this field. Therefore, if you are looking to make it big in the field of Enterprise architecture, there are many enterprise architect certification programs and software architecture programs available. Of course, Manipal ProLearn offers a world class Architecture readiness program, which will help you get a thorough understanding of the world of Enterprise architecture.