Home > Blogs > How Individuals Can Leverage Affiliate Marketing
How Individuals Can Leverage Affiliate Marketing
By Afia Ahmad
Affiliate marketing is easy enough to understand, and consequently, it’s easy to leverage. It involves the process of earning a commission by promoting another company’s products. Basically, you select a product, promote it, and earn a slice of the profit for each sale that you make.
Although most of the ‘get rich overnight’ stories are myths, it is true that a lot of individuals have been successful working as affiliate marketers.
Here are some insights into how an individual can leverage affiliate marketing:
Settle on a firm business model
An affiliate marketer can choose from two basic types of business models:
- Resource websites: In this business model, the affiliate marketer showcases the brand’s website in a link or banner advertisement within his/her posts. Resource website posts typically include guide articles, news or personal stories. This business model requires frequent updates.
- Review websites: In this business model, the affiliate marketer reviews the products of the brand, and includes the links or banner ads into the review post. This business model does not require frequent updates.
Choose a platform which suits you
A great working platform is fundamental to an affiliate marketer. A platform is essentially a website on which you can post links and banners for a product. Some of the options for platforms include:
- Blogs: You can promote products using a personal blog, which is free to use. Also, for using professional-looking websites, there are many website hosting services, which can provide you a platform at a relatively inexpensive cost.
- Affiliated marketing companies: Certain affiliated marketing companies provide affiliate marketing hopefuls a platform for advertising products. Some of these companies charge a fee, while the rest allow you to use the platform for free.
- Direct linking: Some ‘direct linking’ websites allow you to make ad links for a product/service and advertise them on another website. So when someone clicks on your ad, they go straight to the product/service site, instead of a website or landing page you have created.
Select products that you connect with
Once you have selected a platform, you can choose the products or services you would like to promote. The products or services can range from traditional products such as apparel or furniture to even digital goods like e-books and software.
After setting up the list of products/services you would like to promote, you can approach the brand and sign up for their affiliate marketing program. Once you have their approval, they will provide you with a set of essentials like brand logos and HTML links, which you would require to set up the ad links or banners on your own website.
For example, Flipkart and Amazon both allow affiliate marketers to drive traffic from their website, and subsequently earn commissions on every purchase made.
Attract traffic to your affiliate program
Once your platform is popular enough, you will need to attract an audience to your affiliate program. There are plenty of ways to achieve this:
- E-mail marketing: Use of email newsletters to reach out to subscribers
- Free advertising: This involves placing links and advertisements on free websites, such as job portals or eBay so that the ads can be viewed by a larger group of people.
Explore a digital marketing course, which includes an in-depth program covering the dynamics of affiliate marketing as well.
You could also read:
By Aditi Bhat
By Arijit Banerjee
By Aditi Bhat
Request a Call Back
3 Indian Digital Marketing Campaigns That Went Offline and Won our Hearts in 2017
webtrekkThe best of both worlds in marketing About a decade ago, online marketing campaigns were...
opening for Social Media Manager at IIHS
About Communications at IIHSThe Communications team interacts closely and regularly with all units...
4 Digital Marketing Tools for 2018 which are Must-Haves in your Arsenal
https://www.assk.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ThinkstockPhotos-477545230.jpgBeing an ace...
5 Freelance Experts Who Said No to their Jobs and are Making it Big!
The world is coming together to make it happen for the army of freelancers. Better platforms to...
Three Ways Digital Marketing Can Up the Indian Rural Banking Game
India’s urban-rural internet divide is set to come to an end soon. According to a Boston...
Preparing for Effective Marketing Plans by David Fradin
The marketing game is getting more intense as more players are stepping in from the domestic and...
Learn the Foundation of Marketing with David Fradin
David Fradin is the man behind the success of several managers across the globe. He was also...
Crafting the Perfect Message – Marketing 101 with David Fradin
In the third instalment of the four-part marketing webinar, David Fradin threw light on creating...
The Best Way for Freelance Digital Marketers to Plan their Day!
There’s a myth surrounding freelancing - a preconceived picture of living an easy life, not chasing...
Why Now is the Right Time to Become a Freelance Digital Marketer?
According to a recent PayPal report, 23% of Indian freelancers earn up to INR 60 lakhs per annum....