Home > Blogs > How Individuals Can Leverage Affiliate Marketing
How Individuals Can Leverage Affiliate Marketing
By Afia Ahmad
Affiliate marketing is easy enough to understand, and consequently, it’s easy to leverage. It involves the process of earning a commission by promoting another company’s products. Basically, you select a product, promote it, and earn a slice of the profit for each sale that you make.
Although most of the ‘get rich overnight’ stories are myths, it is true that a lot of individuals have been successful working as affiliate marketers.
Here are some insights into how an individual can leverage affiliate marketing:
Settle on a firm business model
An affiliate marketer can choose from two basic types of business models:
- Resource websites: In this business model, the affiliate marketer showcases the brand’s website in a link or banner advertisement within his/her posts. Resource website posts typically include guide articles, news or personal stories. This business model requires frequent updates.
- Review websites: In this business model, the affiliate marketer reviews the products of the brand, and includes the links or banner ads into the review post. This business model does not require frequent updates.
Choose a platform which suits you
A great working platform is fundamental to an affiliate marketer. A platform is essentially a website on which you can post links and banners for a product. Some of the options for platforms include:
- Blogs: You can promote products using a personal blog, which is free to use. Also, for using professional-looking websites, there are many website hosting services, which can provide you a platform at a relatively inexpensive cost.
- Affiliated marketing companies: Certain affiliated marketing companies provide affiliate marketing hopefuls a platform for advertising products. Some of these companies charge a fee, while the rest allow you to use the platform for free.
- Direct linking: Some ‘direct linking’ websites allow you to make ad links for a product/service and advertise them on another website. So when someone clicks on your ad, they go straight to the product/service site, instead of a website or landing page you have created.
Select products that you connect with
Once you have selected a platform, you can choose the products or services you would like to promote. The products or services can range from traditional products such as apparel or furniture to even digital goods like e-books and software.
After setting up the list of products/services you would like to promote, you can approach the brand and sign up for their affiliate marketing program. Once you have their approval, they will provide you with a set of essentials like brand logos and HTML links, which you would require to set up the ad links or banners on your own website.
For example, Flipkart and Amazon both allow affiliate marketers to drive traffic from their website, and subsequently earn commissions on every purchase made.
Attract traffic to your affiliate program
Once your platform is popular enough, you will need to attract an audience to your affiliate program. There are plenty of ways to achieve this:
- E-mail marketing: Use of email newsletters to reach out to subscribers
- Free advertising: This involves placing links and advertisements on free websites, such as job portals or eBay so that the ads can be viewed by a larger group of people.
Explore a digital marketing course, which includes an in-depth program covering the dynamics of affiliate marketing as well.
You could also read:
By Aditi Bhat
By Arijit Banerjee
By Aditi Bhat
Request a Call Back
Digital Marketing Interview Questions & Answers Which Are A Must Prepare!– Part 2
In Part 1 of this article, we looked at 15 essential Digital Marketing questions that you can...More Info
Digital Marketing Interview Questions & Answers Which Are A Must Prepare!– Part 1
Are you looking to foray into the growing field of digital marketing in the coming years? If yes,...More Info
How To Go From Keyword Research To Intent Research
Talking about the search marketing campaign, whether PPC (pay-per-click) or organic, it all starts...
6 Types Of Interactive Content That Will Help You Stand Out
In this digital era, the online marketplace has become an overly crowded landscape. With billions...
6 Exceptional Ways To Boost ROI With User Generated Content
Do you think brands are able to win the trust of customers through their larger-than-life...
Call To Action The How And Where Of CTAs
Be it an online E-commerce portal, a subscription-based service, or simply an online donation...
4 Secrets To Crafting Stellar LinkedIn Posts That Bring Clicks
“If you are not using LinkedIn to promote your business, you are losing business.”Why do we say...
Why Utopian Digital Marketing Is So Significant In Today’s Online World
Talk of online marketing in 2019 and we are introduced to several digital channels (or forms of...
8 Unexpected Ways To Collect Customer Feedback On Instagram
For any online or offline business enterprise, listening to your customers is key to knowing what...
7 ways to Make YouTube Your Social Media Marketing Tool
Video marketing is no longer a simple extra, but rather, a must-have in a world where the attention...