Home > Blogs > Drive analytics "consumption", not just "production"
Analytics is hot. Startups, finance companies and hospitals are building analytics into their business. Data scientists are in huge demand. But there is an aspect of analytics that no one is paying attention to - driving analytics consumption. Let me explain what I mean.
Broadly speaking, there are two types of people involved in analytics.
1. Analytics Producers: The techies, statisticians, visualizers who "produce" reports, insights, algorithms, decision systems.
2. Analytics Consumers: The function managers/leaders who "consume" these reports, insights, algorithms and use them in decision making.
In the world of analytics, there are several companies offering products, solutions and training to drive Analytics Production. But there is hardly any one providing products or solutions to drive Analytics Consumption. This is odd and will inevitably lead to the failure of analytics implementation in companies. An analogy to explain my point:
If a mobile phone maker focused completely on producing mobile phones and did nothing to make people buy and consume mobile phones - the mobile phone maker would certainly fail. Yet analytics products, solutions and training today is ignoring the Analytics Consumer.
What I propose is a model that drives Analytics Consumption along with Analytics Production. The model has two parts - understand the analytics consumer, educate the analytics consumer.
Understand the Analytics Consumer
1. There are more Analytics Consumers than Analytics Producers. For instance, if a company has 100 people in the Analytics Producer team they probably have 20,000+ people who are Analytics Consumers.
2. The Analytics Producers are usually in a single geography/office. Analytics Consumers are distributed across offices and on the field across the world.
3. Statistics/Numerical Data that seem 'obvious' to the Analytics Producer is not at all obvious to the Analytics Consumer. It is proven through research that the brain requires concentrated effort to process statistics.
Educate the Analytics Consumer On
Where are the Reports: Teach the Analytics Consumer where the Reports/Analytics are? How to access them? Provide Mobile Access which is critical for a large distributed set of Analytics Consumers - which URL or which app is it available at.
How to Read Them: Teach how to read reports. For instance a large bank sends out 7-page weekly branch reports to all its branches across the country. But no one has taught the branch managers how to read and interpret the report.
How to Ask More Questions: Teach the Analytics Consumer what data sets are available, what questions can be asked and answered, how other businesses have used analytics to solve business problems.
Yes, we have a solution for all of this at Manipal ProLearn. Happy to discuss it with your company. Drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.