Home > Blogs > Digital Marketing Lessons to Learn from the Game of Thrones
Digital Marketing Lessons to Learn from the Game of Thrones
With a viewership of over 23 million per episode, Game of Thrones has captured the imagination of viewers like never before! With millions eagerly waiting to watch the complex characters, the dark humour, the myriad emotions, and exciting dynamics in the seventh season, there are a few lessons that we can learn on digital marketing from the famed TV show.
7 Lessons from the 7 Kingdoms
1. Amass an army of loyal fans – It takes an army to win the throne and the same goes for any business aiming to take over the market. To start with, the brand must know its audience and create a compelling story. This added to a band of loyal employees, will create an army of fans who will continue to buy from you and also sell for you through word-of-mouth. Mance Rayder is a great example of this. He amassed an army of wildlings with a common cause as the anchor.
2. Gather your weapons – Ensure you have the best tools to maintain and even enhance your customer experience by being able to study your customer’s online behavior and send out timely personalized information. Just like you would never carry a small knife to a war, ensure you have the correct weapons in your arsenal. To summarize, you need to be Bronn, who knows exactly what he needs in a fight.
3. Know how to use your weapons – So you have the website, social media accounts and everything else, but that is not enough to win the war. There is no point in having the right ‘weapons’ unless you know how to use them by not only attracting website visitors, but also converting them into customers. It would be like The Viper taking on The Mountain without knowing how to use any of his weapons.
4. Strong Leadership – A leader needs to have a strong vision and share it with his/her team, by not just knowing the way, but also by showing the way. Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen are great examples of strong leadership. A strong leader is not someone who is bestowed with a title, but someone who inspires his/her team. You don’t want to be the Joffrey of your company or industry.
5. Knowledge is Power – When going for a war, you don’t just need to know the weaknesses and strengths of your enemy, but also need to identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of your business. Lord Varys has taught us this very well, hasn’t he? The more information you arm yourself with, the easier it is to make the right decisions to conquer the throne.
6. Deliver on your Promises – Game of Thrones is a series of promises made and delivered, regardless of the cost. Just like Brienne of Tarth tries everything to protect Catelyn’s daughters, the business must also deliver on the distinctive promises made to the customers and ensure the delivery, no matter what.
7. Brace yourself – “Winter is Coming”, the most famous line quoted from the hit series is a lesson in itself. Good times may not last forever and every business must brace itself for any unexpected challenges by being prepared and having a back-up plan.
With innovative technologies constantly changing the industry, the business too must constantly develop, mature and optimize to stay on top of the game.
You could also read:
By Aditi Bhat
By Arijit Banerjee
By Aditi Bhat
Request a Call Back
Ethical Leadership : 3 Ways To Be A Role Model
It is often difficult to stay ethical especially in today’s volatile and cut-throat competitive...
The Reskilling Imperative: Retraining Workers for the Age of Automation
Emerging technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), deep...
Manipal ProLearn Launches its Cybersecurity Program in Partnership with HackerU
There’s good news for cybersecurity enthusiasts in the country. Manipal ProLearn has launched a new...
New product sales: Three steps to create a winning culture
New products account for a substantial chunk (27%) of sales across industries. Selling new products...
Artificial Intelligence:The Digital Marketers New BFF
As companies are looking to increase their budget on marketing, they are also looking for newer...
Continuous Learning Leads to Continuous Success!
Where do formal education stop, and professional career begin? For many of us, it ends right after...
5 Cyber Security Jobs which are Taking the IT Sector by Storm
In an era where information technology has deeply penetrated a multitude of organizations across...More Info
How to Build Teams That Drive Extraordinary Results?
Teams are the backbone of modern organizations - project teams, executive teams, marketing...
Here's the Top Ten Career Paths to be Considered in Cyber Security
As digital transformation sweeps the world with next-generation technologies, Cyber Security has...
Top Five Skills Necessary to Set Up a Stellar Career in Cyber Security
The mind-boggling pace at which technologies continue to evolve has opened a whole new front of...