Home > Blogs > 7 essential tips to get your Google AdWords Certification
Since the day you had shown interest in digital marketing you must have been thinking about the different certifications in digital marketing. There is a confusing array of the same across platforms like Udemy, Courseera etc. Then there are those offered by internet marketing companies like Google and Hubspot. And this Google AdWords seems to be popping up everywhere. And you wonder what should you do?
So why should you get AdWords certification?
The one thing that an AdWords certificate can do is to take you back in time.
Here are the top 3 reason of taking up AdWords Certification.
- This is the most popular PPC platform and it makes sense to learn the tools, operation and optimisation. You may have an agency to manage your AdWords campaign. Yet, you should be able to understand the levers of this tool to communicate with your agency and get the best out of your campaigns.
- The certification adds credibility to your resume or business profile as a digital marketer. But do note. This is a necessary, but not sufficient condition to prove your expertise. Nothing beats having hands on experience.
- And if you are looking for a job as a digital marketer this features in lot of job descriptions. Not only for start-ups, e-commerce and technology companies but also many of the traditional companies which are steadily understanding the importance of digital marketing. Login to Naukri or Monster and see it for yourself
For getting the AdWords certification you need to pass the AdWords Fundamental exam and any one of the 5 i.e. – Search, Display, Mobile , Video and Shopping Ad. The certificate is valid for a year and you need to retake the test next year. In this way Google ensures that you are up to date with the latest features of this platform. Makes sense?
AdWords certification exam is not one of the most difficult exams in the world. But it is not that easy as well. However, if you follow the tips listed you can increase your chance of getting this certification. If not in the 1st shot, most likely in the 2nd attempt (you can actually take the exams as many times as you want, with a minimum gap of one week)
So here goes the TIP SHEET of 7 essential ways to ensure you pass the Google AdWords certification exam
1. Nothing beats a good preparation
You can take up the in-depth courses like our Digital Marketing Professional Program in association with Google. Or you can go through the study material provided by Google.
2. Practise in real world
This takes the cake. Open an AdWords account (it is free) and practise the concepts in the tool. You don’t really have to run a campaign to figure around some of the features in the tool like keyword planning, targeting etc. Or even better, if you (or your company) is already running a campaign you have a broader play. But be careful of not messing with the current campaign which may affect the results.
3. Use mock exams
Practise before you get into taking the actual exam. Our course has 6 mock exams for practice in the same structure as the actual AdWords exam as well as to revise some of the concepts which you are tested on. Ofcourse the AdWords exams serve as mock as you are allowed to take the exams multiple times.
4. Know the important topics
These are the following topics on which you are generally tested in the exams. Put some more focus on these (disclaimer: Google keeps changing the topics, so in future you may want to modify the list)
- Keyword types and quality scores
- Tools and reports inside AdWords
- Targeting types and restrictions
- Different ad formats and their features
- Formulae (simple arithmetic)
- CPC/CTR/CPA and other important acronyms
- Account level possibilities- Manager account, campaigns, ad groups etc.
- Best practices and use cases
About the Author
Tuhin Ghosh is a digital marketing strategist consulting to clients in industries like IT, education, real estate, health care, retail and engineering. He is a Jadavpur University and XLRI alumnus who has worked in organisations like ICICI, ABN AMRO, Infosys and TATA Motors before starting his entrepreneurial journey 8 years back. He co-founded two companies one in management consulting and the last one being in e-learning. Currently he is the Subject matter expert in the Digital Marketing domain for Manipal Prolearn and is instrumental in designing digital marketing courses like the Google Digital marketing programs as well as helping in designing and delivering corporate training courses for Prolearn. He also speaks as a guest faculty in IIM, Lucknow and other management colleges.