Certificate in Advanced MS Excel
Coupon code: ADVANCEXL | Offer price: 3840/-
Home > Blogs > 18 Steps to turn on VoLTE on an Android Phone
This post is an Example Assignment provided to Manipal ProLearn Android learners. This is intended to be done on a lab Android phone that is not used regularly and does not contain data. The objective of this assignment is to teach you how to build custom Android OS and sideload APKs developed by you for Android.
WARNING : DO NOT DO THIS EXERCISE ON THE PHONES YOU USE REGULARLY. YOU RISK LOSING YOUR DATA AND THE PHONE WILL STOP WORKING
I am a deep tech guy who has always been interested in trying to make my phones work better than what the manufacturer offers. One day I tried to get VoLTE access on my phone and was successful. I started with a One Plus 2 phone running Android Marshmallow. After 4 hours of working on it I was able to get VoLTE access on an experimental Android phone. Here are the instructions for you to do this Assignment using a lab Android phone. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS ON A PHONE YOU USE REGULARLY.
Here is what I did …
1) Turn off all security settings on the phone – pattern lock, PIN, fingerprint lock. If you do not do this, Google assumes you are trying to flash a stolen phone and it blocks the boot loader.
2) Go to About Phone -> Settings and hit the build number of Android 7 times to enable Developer options
3) In the Developer options enable 3 settings – OEM unlocking, Advanced reboot, USB debugging (accept the prompt on the phone even if you are connected to a Laptop)
4) Reboot the phone to boot loader/fast boot mode and connect your phone with a USB cable to a Laptop (which had Android Debug Bridge – ADB - installed on it. You can find ADB here)
6) The command prompt comes up. To verify that your laptop ADB is correctly connected to the phone, issue command fastboot devices. This should return a Device ID against fastboot mode
7) Take a complete backup of the data on your phone.
8) Unlock your boot loader by issuing command fastboot oem unlock on the ADB command prompt. This wipes out your phone data completely.
9) Issue a command fastboot flash recovery <recovery.img> to install a custom recovery on your phone. This will enable you to install custom OS and other unsigned applications on your phone
10) Switch off your phone completely. Manually reboot your phone to recovery by pressing power button + volume down button (rebooting to recovery has different key combinations on different phones)
11) You should have the custom ROM ready in the same ADB folder. Issue command ADB devices in the command prompt to see if the phone is still connected
12) From the recovery mode factory reset the phone
13) Install a custom operating system by issuing a command ADB sideload <customos>.zip
14) Wait for the command prompt to return
15) Install package to gain root access by issuing command ADB sideload <rootaccess>.zip. You now have root access on the phone
16) To add VoLTE capability for the phone, install a VoLTE ready modem compatible with the phone by typing out ADB sideload <modem>.zip
17) Reboot your phone to system
18) The phone should now have VoLTE capability. The VoLTE text will show up on your status bar on top of your phone. Also your data speed should be substantially higher if your modem and phone supports all bands
Now that you have gained root access to the phone’s OS, you can install exposed modules and other custom software normally not available on play store to overclock or underclock the processor and gain access to other sensors on the phone which can enhance the speed and battery life (screen on-time) of the phone.